Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Catching up on January Reading

I skipped ahead and posted about Elixir earlier, but hadn't yet posted about the other books I've read this month. They weren't as interesting (to me), so there was less urgency to post.

The Girl She Used to Be by David Cristofano - I borrowed this one from the library's ebook collection. It started off as a really interesting read. I was enjoying the different vibe of the book. I'm used to reading a lot of chick lit, and this was about a girl who was in the witness relocation program after witnessing a mob killing when she was six. It gets into her lack of ability to grow roots anywhere when she may have to leave and start her life all over again, and then gets into her own personal inability to stay put. I won't ruin the book for anyone else, but there is a change in the plot that just changed the book, in my eyes. It was still a good read, but not the one I'd hoped it would be.

A Desirable Residence by Madeleine Wickham - I listed to this one as an ebook, also from the library. At Christmas, my aunt told me that Sophie Kinsella, the author of the Shopoholic series, was now writing under a pen name of Madeleine Wickham, so I looked to see if I could find any of her stuff to borrow. This was available in audio book, so I decided to try it. (As a side note, the info I found online was saying that the pen name is actually Sophie Kinsella, and Madeleine is her real name.)

I enjoyed it very much. It's definitely just a piece of chick lit, but one full of drama and lots of different central characters. I listened to this while running and was very entertained on my harder runs. I enjoyed it much more than the Shopoholic series since I'm kind of tired of the character in that series. It could also be that I enjoyed the narrator's British accent and all the different voices she used for the six (or so) main characters.

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami - I borrowed this audio book from the library as well. I'd heard about this book from fellow runners. I don't think anyone ever told me I should read it, but I knew a lot of friends had read it. I have to say that I think I would have enjoyed it more in book form instead of audio book. The narration was boring. There wasn't a lot of emotion in the voice, and I felt like I was listening to someone reading an essay. Essentially, that's what it was.

This book was about running, but is NOT good entertainment while running. I almost died on the treadmill listening to this one, and switched it out for some Black Eyed Peas instead. There were quite a few parts that were quite entertaining, though. I was laughing out loud on the bus a few times while listening, and I could really relate to the marathon "thoughts" that he described. Not bad, but I wish I'd read it instead.

Mini-Shopoholic by Sophie Kinsella - I borrowed this ebook from the library as well. I mentioned above that I was getting tired of the character in this book. This was the book that made me realize it. I had enjoyed the series up until this point. I think this book might be one too many in the series, mainly because the character was interesting because of all the trouble she got herself into. This book, she still gets herself into a bit of trouble, but it just isn't as interesting to read about her trouble planning a party for her husband, and trying to convince him to have another baby. Meh. If there is another in this series, I'll likely skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment