Monday, September 26, 2011

Hiatus Lifted - Slowly back to Running

I was very pleased to get running homework when I went to physio last week. With four days until my next appointment, my homework was to run three days  - 2-3k the first day, 4k the next, and then 5k the last. This is to be started off with 10 minutes on the bike to get everything warmed up. 

The first day went well other than feeling like my legs and lungs had forgotten running. The second was about the same. Today, I biked to work and then hit the waterfront for an attempt at 5k with no walk breaks to see how far I could get. (The other two days were to be run/walk intervals.) Since yesterday's run was tough, I fully expected today's would be as well. 

I left my house just as the sun was coming up. My 20 minute bike ride to work also was a reminder that I hadn't biked outside in a while. The stationary bike is great, but it doesn't really mimic the hills! Though it also doesn't mimic the awesome downhills. I dropped off my stuff at the gym and headed to the waterfront. It was beautiful. The sun was part way up in the sky, shining off the water. Hardly anyone was around other than me, a handful of other runners, and the seagulls. At this point, I reflected on why I love running so much. Those treadmill runs are ok, but really, I just love being out and getting to appreciate the scenery. 

When my garmin beeped at the first kilometer, I passed the accordion player and he said good morning. I continued on up the waterfront and before I knew it, my garmin beeped at 2km. Huh. Didn't feel tired. Nice! I watched the cruise ships making their turns in the harbour. Then I looped around at Pier 21 and the garmin beeped for 3k. Not long after this, my quad started burning. Hmmm. Better walk. Took a short walk break until the burn went away and started again. Not too far and it burned again. "Does burn count as hurt?" My physiotherapist told me to stop when it hurt. I tried to start running a few times and then just figured it wasn't worth it. I had an appointment today, so I'd ask then. 

I walked the rest of the way back to the gym, garmin beeping for 4k and 5k. It was a nice walk. As much as I wish I hadn't had to stop running, I really enjoyed the walk. Before my injury, I was walking 4-8k a day and then was benched from walking longer than 1km. But, the walking didn't hurt at all, so I'm thinking that will be allowed again now. 

So, looks like 3k is my max distance right now. That's a bit of a bummer as I'd really like to be running farther to prepare for my half marathon. But, I'm pretty pleased that I am able to run 3k. That's much better than 0k. And as I continue on with my physio and strengthening my glutes/core, that number will go up again. I'm thankful that I'm at least able to bike and walk again as well. Tomorrow I am to try my 5k run again, this time with a stationary bike warm up instead of a cycle commute. Fingers crossed that I make it farther than 3k before the pain! 

1 comment:

  1. i was back in Halifax this summer, and even though I had been running regularly, the hills killed me - there was lots of burning and I don't think my heart rate has been that high in a while.

    great to be back and running, congrats!