Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Running Hiatus

Well, I hit the crucial point of my training cycle, and got injured. A few weeks ago, I noticed my hip starting to get tighter than usual. My left hip was always tight and had much less mobility, but it started to actually bother me. So then I went to a yoga class and requested hip openers. I guess that was a bad thing. It just increased the tightness in the hip.

I tried running through it, thought it would just work itself out. I ran 18k a few days later, and didn't really have too much issue. Then as the week went on, I noticed a burning in my hip that would move to my glute and my hamstring while running or walking. It would only last a few minutes, and then the burning would stop. I took it easier for the rest of the week, resting, and less intensity.

Then I ran 12k as a cutback the next Monday. It didn't feel too bad, but I started to notice that I couldn't put my shoe on my left foot without pain. Hmm. Time to rest. I booked an appointment with a physiotherapist, thinking "If this is something, I want to get it worked out before my "A" race."

Honestly, I expected she could just give me a few strengthening moves, and would tell me I was fine to run easy. Nope. Turns out that my whole hip joint is tight and not moving properly. My L4 and L5 vertibrae are loose, and the hip seems to be tightened to protect this area. No running. No ultimate frisbee tournament. I was still somewhat optimistic that she'd clear me yesterday after having worked on my core strength for a few days. Nope. Not coming along very quickly at all.

My core and glutes are very weak. They don't engage while I walk or run or pretty much anything. So other muscles have taken up the slack, and seems to have caused this issue. For now, I'm only allowed to use the stationary bike, and walk for 10 minutes at a time and only if I make sure to engage my core and glutes.

I had to bail on the Rum Runners Relay race this weekend. I'm hoping to still be able to run the 5k race in the Valley on Thanksgiving weekend. I'm really hoping to be cleared to run my half marathon after that. However, goals are now changed. There are no more time goals. The goal is just to be allowed to get to the start and finish lines. Oh well. There is always next season for hitting those time goals. And, if I continue to build strength in my core and glutes, I'm sure I'll come back even faster. (Well, maybe not, but I can pretend!)

No comments:

Post a Comment