Thursday, July 7, 2011

Going Canadian for July

I dropped off my wine resolution for the month of June. I kind of lost the desire to pick a country and it was feeling like work. Tasting wine should never feel like work! So I took a breather. I just bought a bottle of whatever I wanted, when I wanted. And I did end up revisiting some of the wines that I discovered earlier this year.

At the start of July, I wondered if I would continue with my resolution, or revamp it somehow. Then I went to a BBQ at my friends' house on Saturday night. When I called to see what I could bring, R told me that I would get to taste a glass of their mystery wine. When I got there, she told me to pour a glass, and pointed to the bottle in the brown paper bag on the counter. Turns out, they pull a bottle from the basement every Saturday and drink it out of the paper bag, not revealing what the wine is until the bottle is empty. How fun! Now, for me, I only buy 1-2 bottles at a time, so that wouldn't be much of a surprise, but these guys buy many more than 1-2 at a time!

I sipped at my mystery wine and in my head, I thought "cab sauv". I didn't want to totally embarrass myself and say it out loud, so when I got home that night, I bbm'ed some friends and told them I thought it was a cab. I figured limiting to a cab instead of a cab sauv might give me a better chance of being right.  R emailed the next day to let me know what it was - a cab sauv from Chile. I was right!!!!

That moment solidified that I really have been enjoying my education in wine varieties and regions, and I decided it was time to pick another country and get going for July. R had suggested that since Canada Day had just passed, maybe I should try Canada. So, that's what I'm doing.

Please let me know what your favorite wines are from Canada! I know a few of the Nova Scotia companies, and may explore a few more here, but would be interested in trying some new ones from other provinces.

No comments:

Post a Comment