Friday, March 30, 2012

Federal Budget

I'll admit that I don't pay a lot of attention to politics, but as I get older, I am trying to pay closer attention as I am starting to really see how politicians really affect my life. So, for the first time ever, I actually paid attention yesterday when the federal budget was released. The main points that jumped out at me were the change in OAS and the cut in jobs.

While I'm not directly affected by these changes, it made me think about my own retirement and the real potential in this market to find myself affected by job cuts in the future. In this market, we can never be 100% sure we'll have a job forever. It is quite possible (maybe even probable) that we will, at some point, find ourselves in a position of unemployment for some period of time. Right now, I am very pleased that my resolution this year is to get myself in a better financial position, with a real plan in place for my future.

As for OAS, I wasn't really going to be relying on it for retirement. Who knows what could happen in the next  few decades before I'm near the age of really thinking about OAS. I'll keep socking money away every pay into my retirement fund, and not count on having that extra cash from the government. Besides, just paid up my office lotto pool for the next few weeks. Maybe I'll still get that Freedom 35 plan. I'm feeling lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment