Friday, February 25, 2011

The Book Thief

I stopped in at the library last week and browsed the "rapid read" section. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak had been on my "must read" list and I was waiting for my turn on for the ebook from the library. But, I picked it up with the hopes that I could read it in a week. That wasn't a problem.

I really enjoyed this book. It's a book about a young girl, Liesel, who is transplanted to a new home with foster parents during the war in Germany. The book is narrated by the 'grim reaper', which I found kind of weird. It follows the ups and downs going on with Liesel over a few years.

The plot wasn't overly predictable. I had expected that the foster father was going to molest her, and thank goodness I was wrong! So wrong. There is some bad stuff that happens in this novel, for sure, but not that type. I really like the relationships between Leisel and her Papa, and her best friend, Rudy. The characters in this novel are really real, and likeable.

I just googled now to find out the name of the author, and saw a trailer for the movie. I didn't realize that it was being made into a movie. That will be interesting. I'm not sure if I can imagine it as a movie, but I'm sure I'll go see it.

1 comment:

  1. FYI - This book is a Shannon recommendation. :)

    I need a good book. (Or, being more specific, I need a good "get lost in the story" book, light and silly or just plain engrossing... either way.)

    ReplyDelete