Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My New Favorite Thing From Chile

I picked up a couple of bottles of wine for last Friday night since I was having a few girls over for dinner. First I picked up a bottle of Concha Y Toro Trio Reserva Cab Sauv, Shiraz, Cab Franc, 2008. It was $17ish at the NSLC at the Ferry Terminal. There were two choices there, and I'm glad I picked this one. It was rated 90+ pts  by eRobertParker.com. Since I didn't take notes on Friday night, I can't really remember what it tasted like, except that my friend and I really liked it. It was smooth, easy to sip, not a lot of aftertaste. I believe this was my favorite wine of the month.

Then I also picked up a bottle of the Carmen Reserva Cab Sauv 2009 for about $13 at the Scotia Square NSLC. We opened this one right after we finished the first bottle, the yummy bottle. That wasn't really giving this one a fair chance. It tasted a bit harsh to me with a bitter aftertaste. I had one glass of this one, and was not interested in any more that night. I poured another glass the next night, and it was much tastier this time. It did have a bit more tannin-y taste/feel, which may have been what I didn't like the night before. The second (and third) night, I enjoyed it. It's a tasty wine for $13.

That's it for Chile. Now onto February. I haven't decided 100% which area I'm going to taste this month, but I'm thinking maybe France. But, I won't know for sure until I buy the first bottle, likely this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment